Sunday, March 22, 2009

Rock Chalk Jayhawks!

I ventured down to see friends in Kansas City and Lawrence this weekend (sans Dave because he had a lot of real estate things going on). It was a whirlwind weekend, but I had a lot of fun catching up with my KU friends.

On Saturday, I met Andrea for lunch at this fabulous organic restaurant in Kansas City called Blue Bird Bistro. I used to go there for lunch every once in a while when I lived in Kansas City, and I always got this yummy tomato sandwich. Their menu has changed since I frequented the restaurant, but the food is still wonderful - I highly recommend trying it out if you're every in the downtown Kansas City area and looking for a one-of-a-kind place to eat.

After lunch, I headed to Lawrence. I always enjoy driving into Lawrence...I'm quickly transported back to my KU days as I drive into town on 27th Street. I love, love, love Lawrence; it's the quintessential college town, full of tradition and spirit. And although some store fronts and buildings have changed since I graduated in 2002, much is still the same.

Tim and Kyly, two college friends of mine, live in Lawrence, and they just had their first baby in November - a sweet baby boy named Anderson. This was my first time meeting their new addition, and holy cow - he is a spitting image of his father. He has the same eyes and easy smile, and at four months, he's already a flirt. Here's a picture of me holding Anderson:



Two more college friends, Ali and Josh, joined us for dinner at Free State, the restaurant / brewery on Mass St. that nearly every KU grad touts as their favorite. Their beer rocks, and their food is even better. There's almost always a wait for a table at Free State, but not to worry - there's plenty of room to wait by the bar while enjoying one of their many seasonal beers. Of course, I drank water this time around instead of my usual Wheat State Golden...I figure I'll make up for that the next time I find myself in Lawrence.

On Sunday morning, I drove back to Kansas City to have brunch with Ryan and Christy - and it was Christy's birthday! Glad I could be a part of it! We had a lovely time catching up over eggs and pancakes at First Watch.

I missed watching my KU Jayhawks beat the Dayton Flyers in the NCAA tournament since I was driving back to Omaha during the game, but the weekend seeing friends made it all worth it. Crazy to think that the next time I set foot in Kansas, I will be a mom!!!

And to wrap up this post, here's my 24 week belly picture:

No comments:

Post a Comment