Tuesday, April 14, 2009

The Verdict Is In

And the verdict is in – I have gestational diabetes (GD). Oh well – in the grand scheme of things, it isn’t a big deal and will just take some discipline on my part to eat a low-carb diet for the rest of this pregnancy. It hasn’t been very difficult so far, actually; it’s kind of like not drinking alcohol when you’re pregnant – when you know something is in the best interest of your baby, it’s easy to go along with it. In all honesty, the diet that I’m following is probably closer to how each one of us should be eating in our everyday lives – carbs in moderation.

We are now the proud owners of a Baby Bjorn. Here is a picture of Nina helping Dave test it out:




Last week, a friend of ours lost her husband of only 20 months to brain cancer. It’s an understatement to say that my heart is broken for her. And I’m angry. I’m angry that cancer took away Joey and Seth’s dreams of growing old together, buying a house, having a family…all of those things that many of us tend to take for granted.

Every day, progress is made in the fight against cancer, but we’re obviously still a long way from the end of this war. If you’re not already actively involved in a cancer fundraising or awareness movement, I encourage you to find one that speaks to you – whether it is the American Cancer Society, the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society, the Susan G. Komen Foundation, or one of the many other worthy organizations out there that have made it their mission to fight cancer head-on. If you need ideas, there’s a lot of great information on my Cancer Roadmap website. And please send up some prayers for Joey during this very difficult time.

3 comments:

  1. Ali-Thanks for including Seth and I in your blog. I've already have so much grief in my life, it is very hard to understand and comprehend this too. I will say, it means so much to me that I have so much support from friends and family. Thanks...love Joey

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you're feeling well! I'm on a no-salt diet, so I can somewhat relate. Take care of yourself and the little one!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey there!

    Sorry to hear about the GD, but glad you are okay! We were all getting a little worried on SAL, it's been so long since we've seen any updates!

    ReplyDelete